OLLU to celebrate San Antonio Founder’s Day with ‘Best in the West’
OLLU is joining forces with San Antonio 300 to host “Best in the West,” a San Antonio Founder’s Day event celebrating the history, culture, music and food of San Antonio’s West Side, on Thursday beginning at 5:30 p.m. in front of Main Building.
The event will feature:
- Music by The Westside Horns
- Vintage cars courtesy of The Bomb Squad Car Club
- Performance by Pachuco Boogie Dance Company
- Arts and Crafts
- A reading by Octavio Quintanilla, OLLU associate professor of English and San Antonio Poet Laureate
The evening will begin with a special blessing by the Sisters of Divine Providence featuring OLLU President Emerita Sister Jane Ann Slater, PhD, CDP.
During the event, there will be a variety of other presentations and events for attendees to enjoy, including:
- A screening of the documentary “Zoot Suit” by OLLU Mass Communications student Chan’Cellore Makanjoula – this documentary tells the story of Moses Porras, OLLU housekeeping supervisor, and his passion for dancing, particularly Zoot Suit Performances. Porras spent many years as a performer for El Pachuco Dance Company. This film serves to show his life as a performer and how zoot suit helped him discover his identity. Porras strives to redefine the meaning of the suit by educating younger generations about its history as well as its symbolism of pride and social justice.
- The art exhibits, “Tejano Culture” and “Positive Body Image” curated by OLLU students Mariah Balboa and Dezarre Boone.
Tours of Sacred Heart Chapel and the Our Lady of the Lake Convent will be available every 15 minutes.
Food will be for sale by Panchito’s Mexican Restaurant.
This event is free and open to the public.
Parking lot closure notice
To accommodate the “Best in the West event,” Lot A (the visitor lot in front of Main Building) will close at 6 a.m. on Wednesday. The lot will reopen Friday morning.