Women’s basketball will play Oklahoma City in Semifinals of Nationals
The women’s basketball team continues its historic run after defeating Campbellsville University and advancing to the semifinals, or Fab Four, for the first time in program history. With the 89-84 first-round win over Loyola, the 96-93 round of 16 win over Wayland, and the 94-88 round of eight win over Campbellsville, the Saints will play Oklahoma City University tonight at 9 p.m. Oklahoma City advanced to the second round after defeating Arizona Christian 75-72, to the round of eight after defeating Carroll 60-59 and to the semifinals after defeating Clarke 76-72.
Fans can watch the game for a $9.95 fee at portal.stretchinternet.com/naia.
- Current record is 28-6
- Ranked 12th in the NAIA Coaches’ Top 25 Poll
- Head Coach Christopher Minner was second in winning percentage last season among all WBB head coaches in the NAIA with a .809. He now has .811 in just seven seasons. His current record is 189-44 overall and 121-11 in the Red River Athletic Conference. He is a former NAIA Coach of the Year.
- Kasey Saldana (JR/San Antonio, Texas) earned her 1,000 point vs. Campbellsville. She currently has 1,019
- Destinee King (SR/Antelope, Calif.) has 11 double-doubles on the season including three at nationals. Her career high 21 rebounds was against Loyola.
- No. 1 in NAIA in scoring offense (91.794/3121)
- No. 2 in NAIA free throw percentage (.782), turnover margin (8.853); No. 3 in total steals (477), 3-pt. fg% (.377), total 3-point fg% (289); No. 5 in scoring margin (21.441); No. 6 in steals/game (14.029); No. 7 in total assists (536); No. 8 in 3-point FGM.game (8.500); No. 10 in fg% (.437)
- Captured the RRAC regular season and tournament titles
- Made the top 25 poll every year since 2012-2013
- Made the national tournament every year since 2011-2012, reaching as high as the second round
- At the conclusion of the 2017-2018 season, Head Coach Christopher Minner had the second highest winning percentage than any other women’s basketball coach in the NAIA at .809. He now has a winning percentage of .811
- The Saints are 3-4 against the Stars. Earlier this season, the Saints won 89-81. In 2012, in the round of 16, the Saints lost 73-91; in 2015, lost 83-108; in 2016, lost 85-87 and won 83-63; in 2017, won 96-93.
- Current record is 32-4
- Ranked 10th in the NAIA Coaches Top 25 Poll
- No. 1 in fg% defense (.295); No. 2 in fg$ (463), total rebound offense (1610), total assists (673), assists/game (18.694), defensive rebounds/game (32.417), total blocks (213), scoring margin (24.222) and total rebound margin (11.083)
- Runners-up in the Sooner Athletic Conference Tournament
- 22nd consecutive appearance at nationals and 25th time overall
- Made it to the round of 16 at nationals last year.
- Captured national championships in 1988, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017
The two teams will play tonight at 9 p.m. central. OLLU, part of the Liston Bracket, is the third seed, while Oklahoma City, part of the Duer Brackett are the third seed.