Elmendorf Lake’s History Is Closely Tied to OLLU
Did you know that Elmendorf Lake and Park, located just steps from Our Lady of the Lake University, are part of a history that helped shape both OLLU and San Antonio’s West Side?
The area was once part of the 687-acre Coulson Tract and later became associated with former San Antonio Mayor Henry Elmendorf, for whom the lake and park are named. During the late 1800s, the land changed ownership several times before the Lake View Land Company platted the area as the “Lake View” residential suburb in 1893, setting aside parcels for public parks.

The history of the area became permanently intertwined with OLLU in 1895, when Elmendorf deeded 18 acres near the lake to the Sisters of Divine Providence. The property, located on Prospect Hill overlooking the manmade lake created by damming Apache Creek, became the home of what is now Our Lady of the Lake University.
More than a century later, Elmendorf Lake Park underwent a major transformation. San Antonio voters approved funding through the 2012 bond program, with the City of San Antonio and Bexar County investing approximately $14 million to revitalize the area.

Today, the approximately 30-acre park features walking and biking trails, a swimming pool, splash pad, playground and restored natural areas that support native plants and wildlife.
For generations of OLLU students, faculty, staff and West Side residents, Elmendorf Lake has been more than a scenic neighbor. It is part of the landscape, history and community that have surrounded OLLU since its earliest days.
