The university congratulates all student, faculty and staff winners of the 2019-2020 Student Leadership Awards, which were announced last Tuesday. Recipients are listed below or view winners on the PowerPoint Presentation:
- Senior Wings Up Achievement: Alyssah Gonzalez
- Sr. Margit Nagy CDP Women’s Empowerment: Alyssah Gonzalez
- Leadership in Spirituality and Service: Richard Galvan III
- Providence Award: Lydia Hamner
- Residence Life Program of the Year: “Paws and Pals,” hosted by Katie Shamy, Rebekah Wynn and Eric-Tyler Guerrero
- Residence Life Rookie of the Year: Jasmin Huerta
- Resident Assistant of the Year: Ayala Adams
- Center for Service-Learning and Volunteerism Outstanding Service Leader Award: Alexis Medrano
- President’s Volunteer Service Award: Jesus Rodriguez and Peter Apaez
- Chartered Student Organization: Saints Productions Board, Overall GPA of 3.4
- Special Interest Organization: Lions Club, Overall GPA of 3.7
- Academic Organization: Saints Accounting Club, Overall GPA of 3.77
- Greek Organization: Kappa Delta Chi, Overall GPA of 3.43
- Engaged Advisor: Dr. Rosalind Evans, The Alliance
- Heart of OLLU: Darrell Glasscock, Director of Facilities Management
- Unsung Hero: Getsemani Arteaga, MASA; Brianna Munoz-Rabb, Criminal Justice Society; Jaime Nicholson, Student Veterans of America; Isabel Rodriguez, The Alliance
- Bridge Builder: Natasha Glenn, The Alliance, and Robert Oliva Jr., Saints Greek Council
- Rising Star: Nora Anda, Student Government Association; Marinela Briseno-Hernandez, Volunteer Unity Council; Van Cormier, Student Veterans of America; Adriana Medina, The Alliance; Vivian Najar, The Alliance; Mia Sanchez, MASA; John Segovia, Saints Productions Board.
- Student Leader Excellence: Anna Boone, The Alliance; Lauryn Castro, NSSLHA; Brandon Celedone, Criminal Justice Society; Jeremy Faulkner, Student Veterans of America; Natasha Glenn, The Alliance; Victoria Herrera, MASA; Marisol Mesa, Saints Productions Board; Tricille Otineru, Student Veterans of America.
- New RSO of the Year: First Generation Student Organization
- Innovation Award: Worden Social Work Organization’s Familiacita Young Parents Expo
- RSO Beacon Award: The Alliance
- OLLU Achievement: Humberto Becerra, Alyssah Gonzalez, Genoveve Gutierrez, Priscilla Martinez, Alexis Medrano, Robert Oliva Jr., Dianna Santillan and Crystal Venegas
- St. Catherine Medal: Kimberlee Flores
The following are frequently asked questions for students regarding the student insurance provided by WellFleet:
- Will my WellFleet health insurance continue?
- Yes, you have private health insurance that is valid until July 31, 2020.
- If you are continuing on to the next academic year, the premium fee will be added to your tuition and the health insurance is effective beginning Aug. 1, 2020.
- I am an International student and I returned to my home country; do I get a refund?
- No. You are still an enrolled student and International students are required to carry the WellFleet insurance. Refunds will not be issued as the insurance is still active and you have access to global emergency services.
- Go to www.wellfleetstudent.com, search for Our Lady of the Lake University and look under “your benefits” for more information. You also have access to the 24/7 Nurseline as well as CareConnect.
- Does WellFleet have a 24/7 Nurse Hotline?
- Yes, WellFleet has a 24/7 nurse hotline. To contact the Nurseline, call 800-634-7629
- Do I have access to any mental health programs?
- As a WellFleet member, you have access to CareConnect Behavioral Health Hotline. The program offers student members access to licensed behavioral health clinicians 24 hours a day at 888-857-5462.
- How do I get my membership card if I don’t have it?
- You can create an account at www.wellfleetstudent.com and print or email your card.
- Call WellFleet customer service at 877-657-5030.
- Call the OLLU Health Services Office for assistance at 210-431-3919.
- Does WellFleet have information specifically about COVID-19?
- Yes, visit https://wellfleetstudent.com/student-well-being/coronavirus-faq-for-student-health-members/ for more information.
The OLLU men’s indoor track and field crew participated in the Texas Tech University Matador Open on Friday.
Coach Stephen Sherman said,
“It is rare in track and field, at least in my experience, to compete in a
meet where every athlete in the group is dialed in and are all successful on
some level. Most if not all of our athletes hit season bests, career bests and
or school records. Coach Terry Smith and
I left the meet with a certain level of contentment that was different. To be
quite honest it was a little odd not being disconcerted about anything, but it
was refreshing too. I am very proud of this group.” Read full story.
Employees can now access their W-2 online via the myOLLU
Portal. A W-2 will be mailed only
to former employees and current employees who have NOT consented via the portal
to have their W-2 available electronically. They will be mailed by the
Current employees who have consented for their W-2 to be
available electronically can print it from the portal.
Additionally, employees are encouraged to review their
withholdings. Those who would like to update their tax withholding status will
need to complete a new W-4 return it to the Payroll Office in Main Building,
The OLLU women’s basketball team completed the season sweep over
Texas College after a 128-59 win. The Saints missed by one the overall record
for most points scored in a game, which was 129 against Paul Quinn in 2015. The
team also tied the overall Saints record for most threes in a game with 18.
The Saints improve to 18-4 overall and 11-0 in the Red River
Athletic Conference, while Texas College drops to 5-14 overall and 3-8 in
conference. Read full story at www.ollusaintsathletics.com.
The following are hours of operation for the cafeteria, library, bookstore and IT Help Desk
- Dec. 15-16 –closed
- Dec. 17-21 – 7a.m.-2 p.m.
- Dec. 22-Jan. 2 – closed
- Jan. 3-4 -7 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Jan. 5-6 – Closed
- Jan. 7-11 – 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Jan. 12 – Resume regular hours
Note: The C-Store will remain open throughout the Christmas break
- Dec. 15-16 – Closed
- Dec. 17-19 – 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Dec. 20 – 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Dec. 21-Jan. 2 – Closed
- Jan. 3-4 – Regular hours
- Jan. 5-6 – 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Jan. 7 – Resume regular hours
Available online throughout the holidays at https://www.bkstr.com/ollustore/home.
- Dec. 21-Jan. 2 – Closed
- Jan. 3 – Resume regular hours
- Dec. 21-Jan. 2 Closed
- Jan. 3 – Resume regular hours
OLLU’s 2018 United Way campaign saw continued success with a 73 percent employee participation rate. The total donation amount increased to $26,932.27, up more than $3,500 from last year.
The United Way supports 69 partner agencies and 137 programs in San Antonio that assist children, families and the SanAntonio community. Ninety-three cents of every dollar donated to United Way ofSan Antonio and Bexar County goes to direct service in the community with 7.2 percent going toward overhead costs, making United Way of San Antonio one of the most efficient and effective nonprofit agencies in the country.
For the team competitions, the EM-IA-MM
Synergy Team (Enrollment Management, Institutional Advancement and Mission and
Ministry) had 95 percent participation, followed by the College of Professional
Studies, which had 84 percent participation.
Results of the United Way San AntonioHigher Education Workplace standings will be announced in the spring. Stay tuned to learn if OLLU retains its place as No. 1 in employee participation among San Antonio Higher Education Workplace Campaigns.
A special thanks is extended to the 304 employees who contributed to this philanthropic effort.
The women’s basketball team remains undefeated in the Red RiverAthletic Conference after crushing Texas College 95-55 on Saturday. In theSaints conference opener on Thursday, the defeated Paul Quinn College 120-84.The women are now 7-1 overall and 2-0 in conference. They will host theUniversity of St. Thomas on Thursday and Huston-Tillotson University onSaturday – both games are at 5:30 p.m.
- 4/2: KSAT.com – Octavio Quintanilla – OLLU English professor, Octavio Quintanilla, is a featured author for the San Antonio Book Festival
- American Psychological Association – Se solicita: Psicologós que hablen Español (Wanted: Spanish-speaking psychologists) – OLLU’s graduate psychology program was highlighted as the first to offer language and cultural training for services geared toward Spanish-speaking clients.
- 3/20/15: Texas Public Radio (TPR) – Families of 43 Missing Mexican Students Look for U.S. Support – article and radio coverage of event held on campus with the families of the 43 missing students from Mexico
- 3/15: San Antonio Express-News – U.S. Ayotzinapa tour begins in S.A. with parents of the ’43’ some parents of the ‘43’ will be on campus on Tuesday as part of a national caravan effort to bring awareness to the situation in Mexico.
- 3/1: WOAI – Local religious leaders honor Pope Francis – News coverage of the “Walk for Religious Vocations and Eucharistic Adoration” that took place over the weekend.
- 2/9: Daily Republic (California) – College Notebook: Hamilton shining for Minner, OLLU – women’s basketball player Taylor Hamilton is having a big impact in her first year at OLLU.
- 2/7: San Antonio Express-News – OLLU fans warm up to baseball on a cold opening day
- 2/6: Austin American Stateman – Kenny Wells – Our Lady of the Lake University – Soccer – interview with high school student, Kenny Wells, who signed letter of intent to play soccer at OLLU.
- 1/31: News4SanAntonio.com – Chicano power breakfast celebrates Segundo de Febrero
- 1/18: San Antonio Express-News – A faith-filled resolution to be in community – reflection by OLLU President, Sister Jane Ann Slater, CDP, PhD
- 1/13: Victoria Advocate – Victoria Television Group welcomes new prime-time anchors – OLLU alumna Amanda Brown has joined the Victoria News Group as part of the Newscenter 25 Evening News Team
- 11/16: The Valley Star – TSC has agreement with OLLU
OLLU has signed an articulation with Texas Southmost College
- 11/5: San Antonio Express-News – Japan’s tribute to Alamo hits 100
Sister Margit Nagy’s article about the Japanese Monument that honors the heroes of the Shrine of Texas Liberty.
- 11/6: KSAT.com – OLLU names new president
- 11/6: San Antonio Business Journal – Our Lady of the Lake University appoints new president to replace Slater
- 11/6: San Antonio Express-News – OLLU names new president
- 11/4: San Antonio Express-News – State of OLLU: Growing and Bright
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on President Jane Ann Slater’s “State of the Lake” address.
- 9/26: San Antonio Express- News – Novel peeks behind academic curtain – Review of the novel “Dear Committee Members,” by English faculty members Leah Larson, PhD, Yvette Benavides, Michael Lueker and Mary Francine Danis, PhD.
- 9/25: San Antonio Express-News – A Shakespearean Love Story
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on Dr. Mary Francine Danis, former English professor and founder of the Writing Center.
- 9/7: LaPrensa – Local Hispanic-serving universities receive grants
- 9/12: San Antonio Express-News – First Visit to The Lake – Ken Rodriguez’s “Light From the Lake” blog.
- 9/10: WOAI – Enrollment up at college campuses
- 9/10: San Antonio Business Journal – Our Lady of the Lake sees enrollment increase
- 9/9: KSAT – Our Lady of the Lake makes national ranking
- 8/29: San Antonio Business Journal – Federal grant seeks to boost Hispanic graduation rates
- 8/28: San Antonio Express-News – St. Mary’s, UTSA, OLLU put federal grants to use
- 8/22: KSAT – OLLU, SAC receive $3.1 million grant
- 8/16: Valley Morning Star – Exploring loss- Octavio Quintanilla
OLLU professor publishes poetry book.
- 8/12: San Antonio Express-News – OLLU baseball coach believes in team’s talent – Interview with OLLU’s baseball coach Freddy Rodriguez.
- 8/7: San Antonio Express-News – A Colonel’s Story – Ken Rodriguez’s blog on alumnus retired Col. Gil Coronado.
- 8/5: San Antonio Express-News – Star golfer a straight shooter – Article on alumnus Aaron Flores.
- 7/30: San Antonio Express-News – Rising Media Star – Ken Rodriguez’s blog on alumna Arantxa Loizaga, who was just named co-anchor of Univision’s weekend newscast.
- 7/17- Daily Progress – JC’s Hill to play for Our Lady of the Lake
- 7/7-San Antonio Express-News – Swinging for Greatness
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on alumnus and golf player, Aaron Flores.
- 6/20: Fox 29 – Special needs camp transforming young lives
Article on the 4th annual Camp Jersig, hosted by the Harry Jersig Center.
- 6/17: San Antonio Express-News – NBA Media Hoop it up at OLLU
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on the NBA Media pick-up game held at OLLU prior to the NBA finals game.
- 6/4: San Antonio Express-News – The AT&T Connection
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on the OLLU alumni who are working at AT&T.
- 5/29: San Antonio Express-News – The Science Professor
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on OLLU professor Robbie Kouri.
- 5/27: San Antonio Express-News – OLLU wins first ‘All-Sports Award’
- 5/16: San Antonio Express-News – The Providential AD
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on OLLU Athletic Director, Jack Hank.
- 5/13: San Antonio Express-News – Home is near family
Article on OLLU softball player, Katrisha Arocha.
- 5/11: San Antonio Express-News – Some OLLU majors up for elimination gain second life
- 5/8: San Antonio Express-News – A Cancer Victim Reaches Out Ken Rodriguez’s blog on OLLU alumnus, Patricio Espinoza, and his wife’s fight against ovarian cancer.
- 5/5: San Antonio Express-News – Ryan Wall hired as basketball coach at Our Lady of the Lake
5/2: San Antonio Express-News – Historic Masters Graduates
Ken Rodriguez’s blog on the first online MSW students to graduate.
5/2: San Antonio Express-News – OLLU ceremony kicks off college graduation season
The Scholarship Application for the 2015-2016 academic year is now open for traditional undergraduate and full-time graduate students pursuing a master’s degree. Applications must be turned in by May 1, 2015. Download application or view online.