Reminder of types of emergency messages OLLU will send to community
In an effort to keep the OLLU community well informed and safe in emergency situations, it is imperative that all students, faculty and staff know the ways that the university will communicate to the community if an emergency situation arises.
In the event of a campus emergency, OLLU will use voice, text and/or email messages to alert the community. Messages can be sent to cell phones, office phones, home phones and/or university email addresses.
In extremely time-sensitive emergencies, prerecorded messages will be sent out to alert the community that an emergency situation is taking place. The prerecorded messages allow for the fastest activation of the OLLU Emergency Alert System. Prerecorded messages will be followed by additional messaging as information becomes available.
Prerecorded messages fall into three categories:
- Public Safety Emergency — this prerecorded message could be activated for a variety of emergencies, including threats from individuals or other situations that might endanger the community.
- Weather Emergency — this prerecorded message would be activated in the event of a rapidly approaching weather-related threat.
- Active Shooter — this prerecorded message would be activated if shots were fired on campus.
After a prerecorded message is sent, the OLLU University Police, Administration and Communications team will continuously monitor the situation. When additional information is available, follow-up messages will be sent through some or all of the following channels:
- OLLU social media
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/OLLUnivSATX
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/OurLadyoftheLakeUniversity
- OLLU email system
- OLLU campus phones and speakers
- Updates to the OLLU Emergency Alert webpage
- Additional messages through the OLLU Emergency Alert System — voice, text and email
your contact information updated
The OLLU Emergency Alert System uses contact information that students, faculty and staff provide the University. Members of the OLLU community can review and update their contact information anytime by visiting the Contact Information Update page online.
The Contact Information Update form provides an option to opt out of text messaging, but voice and email messages will still be received. OLLU email addresses cannot unsubscribe from this system.
Information about how to shelter in place during an emergency is available on the OLLU website in the Emergency Information section at www.ollusa.edu/alert. There also is a link to a video about how to react during an active shooter situation. Finally, there are posters in each classroom with information about what to do in various types of emergencies. Students, faculty and staff should review this safety information at least once a semester.